Monday, June 05, 2006

Character Profile - Dalton

As Gordon has just posted one of his Dalton pics I thought it would be a good time to catch up on the little fella and chart some of his history.

Dalton was one of those happy accidents that just kind of came into our lives and evolved right in front of us. Gordon wanted a regular animal character, something I might have resisted at first. I don't recall any specific discussions about his character except for his name. I think I suggested Dalton; he is named after a small village called Dalton Piercy.

"Dalton Piercy is a small village about five miles (eight kilometres) inland from modern Hartlepool. It does not have a church, or a village pub, but does have an area of village green. It was formerly owned by the Percy family, from whom it got its name." So now you know!!

This is, to the best of my knowledge, the first strip the Dalton appeared in. He doesn't get his hair until his next appearance a few days later! And it would be weeks before he was named in print!

Since such a humble beginning Dalton, and later Cool Bob, has become integral to the Farms landscape.

No comments: